Hard to beat a simply southern fried fish! Chris and I cook fish at least once a week and it usually is prepared this way! Our favorite species to make this way include: Flounder, Gag Grouper, Flathead Catfish, Scamp Grouper, Mingo (Vermillion Snapper) and White Snapper.
1 Box of “Slap Ya Mama” Fish Fry or 2 Bags OR 2 bags of Louisiana Fish Fry
Zesty Italian Dressing
Gallon Zip Lock Bag
And of course your fish!
- Prep your fish! Cut all the bloodline out. Cut into 2 x 2in chunks.
- Throw fish chunks in bowl and top and toss in Italian dressing. You need just enough to cover the fish thoroughly. Set aside.
- Turn on fryer. (If you do not have a fryer, you can always use the stove top and set up with your peanut oil in a frying pan.)
- Take your gallon zip lock and empty entire box of fish fry into it. You can leave it as is or you can add some seasonings of your choice if you would like to jazz it up a bit. (We like it just as it is!)
- Toss marinated fish chunks into gallon bag and shake it up!
- Check oil temperature and once it has hit 350 degrees you are ready to cook.
- Place fish chunks individually, not touching one another in oil. Rotate accordingly and cook until golden brown.
- Pull out and place on paper towels to drain excess grease off.
- Serve with your favorite cocktail sauce, fresh cut fries and cold beer!
This recipe is for about 3lbs of fish and feeds 6 people. If you have more fish then that and need to feed a tribe, then just double recipe. Enjoy!