This recipe is a little more effort but worth every second! This is Chris’ favorite!! Triggerfish and Grouper are our favorite fish to prepare this way. Also, you might want to do this outside, it does sizzle and smoke quite a bit while the fish is cooking. Using a grill works great.
Blacken Seasoning (Any brand will work.)
Cast Iron Skillet
2 sticks butter, melted
Kaiser Buns or Hawaiian King Buns
Louisiana Tarter Sauce
6 cups Shredded Cabbage and Carrots
½ Cup Mayonnaise
1 tsp white vinegar
1/3 cup milk
¼ cup sugar
- Prep fish. Cut out all bloodline and trim up in a nice filet, fit for a sandwich. No thicker than ¾ in.
- Get skillet hot. 350-400 degrees is ideal.
- While skillet is getting hot, dip each filet into melted butter and then top your fish with blackening seasoning and flip over and also coat the bottom side. Do this to all filets.
- Once skillet is hot, place one filet at a time on hot skillet. Cook on each side for 2 minutes.
- Repeat until all filets are cooked.
- Make slaw. Add all ingredients into bowl and mix together.
- For a little extra touch, toast your buns.
- Top bun with fresh slaw, tartar and a blackened filet.
- Serve with a side of chips or fresh fries!